Sunday, December 9, 2007

essay #6

Henry Shields
English 101
November 1, 2007
Adam Weinstein
“Convictions”
Toby Keith is hailed as one of the best country song artists of his generation and his new song, “Love me if you can”, is currently number one on the country billboard charts. Unlike the stereotype of the “new fashioned” country, Toby Keith is adored by his fans for speaking his mind and being a very opinionated artist. His songs are easy to relate to and are mostly “hot” topics that are delivered through emotion and personal experience. “Love me if you can”, in particular, covers political point of views; a topic that everyone can relate to. According to the Rhetorical Triangle, Toby Keith uses ethos and pathos to get his message across: his message being the idea that everyone believes the ideas of a certain political party, but he is a man of his “convictions”. A great message indeed, but is he really a man of his “Convictions”?
In this song, I believe Toby Keith is speaking to a huge audience. Whether you are running for president or just an “average Joe” on the street, you have political opinions that contradict with others’. Keith uses this truth in an ingenious way, enabling him to relate to everyone. He states that he “prays for peace on earth” but also thinks “war is necessary”. He is presenting himself as an average man with average beliefs. Keith delivers his message with a “don’t give a damn” persona. By doing so, he shows he truly believes in what he is saying. Toby Keith is so well renowned for his music because people believe he is the persona in the song, he doesn’t just make one up. This makes his point more believable than if he were cautious about what people thought. Overall, Keith’s message is delivered to a wide range of people in a manner that is trustworthy and full of pride. Everyone can relate to his message and he is proud to hold strong to his firm beliefs and share his opinion.
I feel that Toby Keith is delivering a great message, but determining whether it portrays a positive or negative theme is completely up to the listener. In my opinion, Keith incorporates a choice for the listener. The main chorus is, “I’m a man of my conviction”. So what do you think; is Keith really a man of his convictions? As a man of my conviction, I say NO! I feel that the lyrics and delivery of the content is an extremely positive message. Keith tells us to believe what means most to you, don’t be a follower. I feel that the lyrics are delivered well and the overall message is great, but I question the motives for delivering this moral message. Toby Keith uses a “bad ass” persona along with lines and words that appeal to many people. And in his main chorus, Keith states, “I’m a man of my convictions, call me wrong, call me right”. Well, great for him you might say. Doesn’t every country singer try to act like a “bad ass”? Don’t they all fake that country twang and root for America and everything else they believe in no matter what anyone else thinks? I couldn’t agree with you more. The fact of the matter is that Toby Keith sells himself just as much as he does his music. In reality, there is no such thing as a great, “from the heart” song. A true man with morals does not deliver his message of “conviction” through a multi platinum recording company so he can make millions of dollars. I do not mean to contradict myself on the fact that Toby Keith is a good singer that is not in it for the fame and fortune, but that doesn’t keep me from questioning the truth behind his “convictions”. Yes, he has written many songs that were based on real life events, but I feel he has caught on to the fact that these kinds of songs are “the ones that sell” and now he is just selling himself. Not to sound like my grandfather, but the sad reality is that songs these days are written to sell, not written from someone’s true “convictions”.
Lastly; goals. WHAT GOALS? Toby Keith does not express for any goal to be met, he just blabbers on in his monotone voice about how he is a man of his “conviction”; the “conviction” that was placed so deep in his heart by corporate executives looking to make an extra dollar. This song is a complete mockery of country music and after analyzing it for its “political conflict”; I have come to the conclusion that this whole song is just “politics”. In lemans terms politics is people selling themselves with bullshit words so they can make money.

1 comment:

The Anesthesiologist said...

Whoa...me thinks you must have forgotten to take your daily dose of lithium.